Great Gift Idea: Make your own Suet Pine Cone!
Make your own birdfeeder with a mix of suet, seeds and a pine cone. Suet is one of the best foods to attract nuthatches, woodpeckers, wrens, titmice, creepers, kinglets, chickadees, and even bluebirds. Suet is raw beef fat from around the kidneys and loins. Suet pine cones make great gifts and are greatly appreciated by the birds.
How to make Suet Pine Cones:
What you need:
Large Pine Cones, string, scissors and the following ingredients:
1 Pound Suet cut in small pieces (ask for this at the meat counter of the local grocery store)
1 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
1 Cup Rolled Oats
1 Cup Chunky Peanut Butter
1 Cup Black Oil Sunflower Seed
1. Tie string around pine cone, leave a long end on it in order to hang it from the tree.
2. Melt suet over low flame.
3. Stir in ingredients.
4.Over wax paper pour or pack into pine cones.
5. Refrigerate until hardened or freeze.
6. Hang the suet feeder far from the tree trunk to keep other critters from making off with the entire feeder.
7. Wait and watch to find out who will visit your suet sack feeder this winter.
Note: Heating suet to a high temperature can produce a very unpleasant smell. You may want to do it outside on a camp stove.